Well, for what feels like the first time in a while, I got some good news today. Many of you may know that I have been struggling with the decision whether or not to take Rhae to Omaha to the OI clinic. We will still get her PAM in Birmingham and see her ortho in Birmingham for checkups, but I just don't feel like I am doing all I should be for her. I worry that I'm missing something we should be doing and unfortunately, I don't believe our doctors know any more than I do. For the last several months I have prayed for God to help with my decision. I keep saying I haven't gotten a clear answer one way or the other, but last night, for some reason one of the times I woke up to feed Rhae, I looked down at her and it hit me like a ton of bricks...we MUST go to Omaha. Last week, I got an email from another OI mom who has become a great friend and support (love you!) who mentioned that when they saw Dr. Esposito, the ortho, last, he mentioned that her daughter will have the same obstacle to walking that Rhae will, and they would do rods sooner than later to prevent fractures. Since she mentioned that, it has really started to sink in with me that I think they will do a lot more for Rhae than the doctors around here. When I have questioned the 3 orthos we have seen here about rodding, they have all said, we'll just have to wait and see.
Well, they have this great clinic in Omaha, where you can see everyone in one day...ortho, endocrinologist, dietician, PT, OT, the works. They are all willing to work in conjunction with your local physicians as well. So today, I called my insurance company to see if they would be covered as "in network" under our policy, and THEY ARE! I was thrilled! Now, I've just got to start checking around with airlines and see who might offer medical discounts and who is cheapest. I also need to get her scheduled in one of the clinics. I'm hoping to go the same time as some of the other kids we know, and hope to be there with Christiane and Trinity, but I worry their next appointment may be at the same time our PAM is due, so not sure how I'll handle that. Either way, we are going to Omaha sometime! I know I owe it to my daughter to do all I can for her, and I feel like I'm taking a big step that way. Our tax refund should be here soon, so I'll put some of that back to help with the trip.
Other good news...our friends, the Hursts', definitely leave for China to pick up their daughter in 13 days! We are so excited for them and can't wait for Hattie Lou to be home! Please keep them in your prayers as they fly out on the 24th, and then again back home on March 13th. Pray they have safe flights and that Hattie Lou quickly adjusts to her new surroundings. She has an awesome set of parents and siblings to come home to, as well as a town full of people waiting to meet her! It's been a long-time in the making and I am so happy that God is finally bringing this little girl home!
Our God is an awesome God!